Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ernie Banks




"Let's play two!"
A lot of these players I chose to paint because I simply liked the way their faces looked or they had a particular expression that was fun to capture. I don't know much about Ernie Banks, but I had always heard of him as a tremendously popular player for the Cubs, mostly when I'd listen to the Giants games on the radio announced by the amazing Hank Greenwald. Hank was tremendously entertaining every single game, a treasure trove of anecdotes, stats and knowledge of the game. He not only transported you to the ballpark but he expanded your knowledge of the incredible nuances of the game itself, AND he had a terrific sense of humor. I remember him describing Ernie Banks as a wonderfully enthusiastic player, always ready to play a doubleheader.

No comments: